Thursday, February 18, 2010

My Name is Khan

So, I have now had 3 days to digest and replay this movie in my head. This is another very different Bollywood---no song picturizations, no crazy slapstick. This is a serious love story, story of hope, and how a simple man can make a huge difference. Yes, I have read all the reviews in all the various Bollywood news sources, Times of India, New York Times, and many other places. This movie is not perfect, Karan Johar has said that he let Shahrukh take the lead on lots of scenes, and Shahrukh did his homework. You really do see SRK as a man with Asperger's syndrome--an man who is brilliant, yet innocent, awkward and only sees things in black and white, no grey. SRK uses his skill as an actor to carry this movie. After watching many of his films over the years--from the great to the horrid--you can see SRK grow as a person and an actor--and this movie is proof of his skill.
I thought that Rab Ne Bana di Jodi and Chak de India really showed SRK's skill, but this movie tops that. I really don't want to give too much of the story away--but when Rizwan feels that he needs to prove a point to regain the love of his point--he sets out to do so. This quest makes the world realize that an honest, innocent man can change the world---you think this is not true? There have been many honest, innocent men who have done so in the past--Jesus, Mohammed, Gandhi--have changed the world. Rizwan sees the world as being inhabited by good people or bad people, and he is out to help those who need help.

This movie will change your ideas about Bollywood films--they can do socially important topics and do them well. It is not to say that Karan Johar could not have done better-the story in the first half could have been a bit tighter, and the second half's unevenness could have been smoothed over. Interviews with Johar have had him saying that SRK did lots of directing--maybe that should be the next step for SRK--let us see him do the directing!

This movie is a must see.

1 comment:

  1. When I saw this film in the theater, I was sure 3/4 of the way through, that it would be in my top 5 favorite hindi films. HOWEVER, somehow something went wrong with the story's thread. I got really annoyed when he went back to that town during the hurricane. It was so unbelievable,so over-the-top dramatic,I found myself cringing. I consider myself VERY able to put reality/reason/probability aside when watching bollywood but I found myself asking my friend,"what are they DOING?!! they are ruining this movie for me..NOW??". They DID tie it up well at the end but I could not reconcile that part of the movie to the whole. That being said,if it WAS re-edited out, I'd give it 5 stars. I loved SRK as usual. I agree that in RNBDJ he was brilliant and this was yet another notch up for him in my book. The story was otherwise meaningful and moving. I was so happy to see Kajol again. And they were magical together as usual.

    ReplyDelete