Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Bollywood Randomness

I know I tend to see Bollywood everywhere-but now one of my Bollyconverts has begun to spread the word. This particular convert had originally seen Bollywood films when in Nigeria(without the benefit of subtitles-but all in the theatre sang along). I have been feeding her movies, articles and other random Bollywood and she has begun to interest friends about Bollywood. I have found when I tell folks that I am into Bollywood, they instantly bring up the Oscar winning movie Slumdog Millionaire. I then try not to go off on a rant that it is not really Bollywood. Sure, there were 2 great stars of Bollywood in the movie, Anil Kapoor and Irfan Khan-as well as some other 2nd tier players that I recognized the face but not the movie. The book that the movie is based on is Q & A by Vikas Swarup (he did not like that the name was changed, so I am using the original title out of respect), who is an Indian diplomat, it is about a slumkid. But hey, Danny Boyle is a cutting edge English director! I sure hope, as do many of us that love Bollywood, that this wonderful movie will bring more attention to all the wonderful films that Hindi cinema has to offer. Let us just hope!

1 comment:

  1. I ALWAYS role my eyes when people mention Slumdog Millionaire! I just don't know if it will get people that wouldn't otherwise be interested in bollywood,into Bollywood. I think Bollywood movies are a world unto themselves. Just being set in India clearly does NOT make it bollywood. Darjeeling Limited by Wes Anderson is one such example. I enjoy the music from Slumdog because I like almost everything I've ever heard from A.R. Rahman but did it convert others to watch Swades? probably very few. Its a good and important movie, but its not Hindi.

    ReplyDelete