Saturday, February 19, 2011

Salaam-e-Ishq or Salman-e-Ick



Salaam-e-Ishq
Well, my friend Erin loaned me a bunch of flicks she wanted me to see--and Salaam-e-Ishq was among them. I am not at all a fan of Salman Khan, but I like a lot of the others in this film--Akshaye Khanna, Anil Kapoor, Juhi Chawla, John Abraham, and Priyanka Chopra(most times anyhow). So--I began to watch this on a day off after a bunch of running around--I am not sure if it was the movie, or if I was tired, but I kept dozing off! The moment Salman came on screen--I felt kinda repulsed, he is still baring his chest, posturing and doing the same things he did in movies years ago; hasn't he grown in skill?
I kept at it--the stories seemed a bit disjointed, I did not like the cutting from one tale to another--it wasn't all that smooth. I have seen it done better in a film called Dus Kahaniyaan.
I would suggest if you want to watch a movie about couples and how they deal with problems-I would look this one up.

The only saving grace(other than the fact that Salman is in many of the dance numbers) is the music. The is done by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy--and is fabulous. Even Salman's dancing hasn't changed much! In one dance, I would swear he did the same steps that he did in Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam--even Salman's dancing hasn't improved over the years. Salman would do well to watch other films by the other Khan's--Aamir, Saif and of course SRK. Over the years they have all done very different types of films--Aamir has even signed to do the anti-hero in Dhoom 3--while Salman has spent his career being the 'chocolate box hero'--the slimy gigolo/lover/Lothario . Wake up Salman--you are not twenty any longer-you may still be buff and rugged looking--but you need to take acting lessons or start working behind the camera--do you want to be know as the Keanu Reeves of Bollywood?
Ok, I must admit I can't tolerate him, but I am trying to look at his acting- lack thereof. Salman also has the reputation of being Bollywood's badboy--well, Salman--this is getting old, wake up and smell the coffee and do something with substance and passion.


2 comments:

  1. the music WAS the best part of this movie..Its some of my all-time favorites. The movie is disjointed and I wished they cut out his brother's storyline. it was comic relief but pointless. I loved Govinda..it was the first and maybe only thing I've seen him in. priyanka annoyed me in this too. actually now that i think about it, there weren't many storylines that moved me aside from maybe John Abraham/Vidya Balan and the Govinda/white girl,who i found endearing.. Anil Kapoor ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh its Akshaye Khanna not Akshay Kumar in this movie..

    ReplyDelete